Last updated: November 8th, 2019
What are cookies?
A cookie is a small text file that a website stores on your computer or mobile device when you visit the website.
"Cookies allow us or a third-party to recognize you and help us provide you a better experience in your next visit by remembering your preferences (such as user name, language, etc.) for a certain period of time."
Cookies can also be used to establish anonymized statistics about the browsing experience on our site, to help us see which features are most popular, counting visitors to a page, improving our users’ experience, and keeping our services secure.
The site mostly uses “first-party cookies”. These are cookies set and controlled by WeChangers, not by any external organisation.
However, to view some of our pages, you will have to accept cookies from external organisations.
The 3 types of first-party cookies we use are to:
- store visitor preferences
- make our websites operational
- gather analytics data (about user behaviour)
- Utc_offset, Enables the display of different Time zones to provide a more customized service (First-party persistent cookie, 1 year)
- cookie_eu_consented, Stores your cookie preferences so you won’t be asked again (First-party persistent cookie, 1 year)
There are some cookies that we have to include in order for certain web pages to function and which do not require your consent.
These are stored when you log in to the Site, using our authentication service.
- remember_person_token, remembers your answer to the "Remember me" question in the login page (First-party persistent cookie, 1 month)
- __wechangers_session, stores the session id which allows us to give you access to private features when you are logged in (First-party session cookie deleted after you quit your browser)
- intercom-id-y39bhh2j, stores information to be able to support you using the bottom right chat messenger from Intercom (First-party persistent cookie, 1 year)
- intercom-session-y39bhh2j, stores information to be able to support you using the bottom right chat messenger from Intercom (First-party persistent cookie, 1 year)
- __stripe_mid, Stripe.com uses this cookie to remember who you are and to enable WeChangers to process payments without storing any credit card information on its own servers (Third-party persistent cookie, deleted after you quit your browser)
- __stripe_sid, Stripe.com uses this cookie to remember who you are and to enable WeChangers to process payments without storing any credit card information on its own servers (Third-party persistent cookie, deleted after you quit your browser)
We use these purely for internal research on how we can improve the service we provide to all our users.
The cookies simply assess how you interact with our website – as an anonymous user (the data gathered does not identify you personally), and this data is never shared with any third parties or used for any other purpose.
The anonymized statistics could be shared with contractors working on communication projects under contractual agreement with WeChangers.
- _ga, used to distinguish unique users by assigning a randomly generated number as an anonymous client identifier for Google Analytics (Third-party persistent cookie, 24 months)
- _gat, used to throttle the request rate - limiting the collection of data (Third-party persistent cookie, 24 months)
- _gid, stores and updates a unique value for each page visited (Third-party persistent cookie, 24 months)
Some of our pages display content from external providers, e.g. YouTube, Facebook and Twitter.
To view this third-party content, you first have to accept their specific terms and conditions. This includes their cookie policies, which we have no control over.
But if you do not view this content, no third-party cookies are installed on your device.
How can you manage cookies?
You can manage/delete cookies as you wish - for details, see aboutcookies.org.
Removing cookies from your device
You can delete all cookies that are already on your device by clearing the browsing history of your browser. This will remove all cookies from all websites you have visited.
Be aware though that you may also lose some saved information (e.g. saved login details, site preferences).
Managing site-specific cookies
For more detailed control over site-specific cookies, check the privacy and cookie settings in your preferred browser
You can set most modern browsers to prevent any cookies being placed on your device, but you may then have to manually adjust some preferences every time you visit a site/page. And some services and functionalities may not work properly at all (e.g. profile logging-in).
For any clarification regarding our Privacy & Cookies Policy, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.